viernes, 12 de septiembre de 2008
Me honro entonces al colocar el enlace y copio aquí la Biografía del Sr. Arístides Bastidas a quien agradezco (aunque ya no se lo pueda decir) todas sus enseñanzas en tan excelente Columna.
By: JAD MOUAWAD - VIENNA - Hours after suffering a rare setback in a negotiating session at OPEC’s headquarters, Saudi Arabian officials assured world markets on Wednesday that they would ignore the wishes of other cartel members and continue to pump plenty of oil. The late-night bargaining session ended early Wednesday morning with a surprise declaration that OPEC would cut production to shore up sagging prices. Saudi negotiators publicly endorsed that position, but then spent much of Wednesday privately spreading the word that they did not feel bound by it. The back-and-forth illustrated new pressures and power politics at play in the group that controls 40 percent of the world’s oil production. The meeting could be a harbinger of things to come for the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries as the cartel faces its most difficult challenge in years: how to respond to falling oil prices in a weakening global economic climate. The confusion surrounding this week’s meeting slowed the decline in prices as oil markets struggled to understand the cartel’s byzantine politics. Oil closed Wednesday at $102.58 a barrel in New York trading, a decline of 68 cents. After a 30 percent drop in prices since July, and with oil seemingly headed below the psychological milestone of $100 a barrel, OPEC producers are getting anxious. The cartel’s president, Chakib Khelil, said the group was particularly concerned that slowing demand for oil was creating a glut in the market that might provoke a collapse in prices. Still, going into the meeting, Saudi Arabia was expected to prevail in its stated goal of keeping enough oil on the market to drive prices below $100 a barrel. The Saudi view is that lowering prices moderately now will shore up the world economy and prevent a recession that would cause oil prices to collapse. The Saudi oil minister, Ali al-Naimi, described the markets as being “well balanced” when he arrived in Vienna. But after a six-hour private meeting, OPEC ministers decided to pare their production by complying strictly with targets that had been set up last year but were largely ignored. According to Mr. Khelil, who is also Algeria’s oil minister, OPEC’s actual production would have to be lowered by about 500,000 barrels a day within the next 40 days. “We are oversupplying the market, and we are cutting that oversupply,” said Abdalla Salem el-Badri, the group’s secretary general. “We don’t want to see these prices decline dramatically.” It remained unclear Wednesday exactly how the Saudis lost the argument behind closed doors. And despite the OPEC communiqué, it is far from clear that OPEC members will actually reduce their output. After a short night, Saudi officials were quick to reassure markets. “Saudi Arabia will meet the market’s demand,” a senior OPEC delegate said. “We will see what the market requires and we will not leave a customer without oil. The policy has not changed.” The Saudi message is to wait and see where demand is headed before eventually paring supplies. The Saudis made their strategy clear Wednesday in informal talks and briefings with some oil industry analysts and reporters, but as is their custom, they would not speak for attribution because they did not want to appear to undermine a collective OPEC decision. In June, King Abdullah pledged that his country would pump at full tilt to bring prices down. In August, the kingdom increased its production to 9.7 million barrels a day, the highest in three decades. Saudi Arabia is now producing around 9.5 million barrels a day, 600,000 barrels a day more than its quota. “This seems to set Saudi Arabia up as the unilateral decision-maker on output for the fall,” said Greg Priddy, an energy analyst at Eurasia Group, in a research note. “Clearly, other OPEC members are not going to trim their own production without Saudi Arabia returning to its quota. Saudi Arabia also seems to be eager to avoid headlines about it cutting production in advance of the U.S. elections.” Adding to the confusion, OPEC said that two new members, Angola and Ecuador, were given new production quotas while Indonesia, a member since 1962 that has become a net importer of oil in recent years, was suspending its membership in the organization by the end of the year. OPEC officials had trouble explaining precisely how much production would need to be cut. Mr. Badri also declined to provide new targets for each member state. OPEC’s discordant message is a reflection of the competing policies at play within the group, which includes countries like Kuwait, Nigeria, and its newest and smallest member, Ecuador. Some countries are carefully managing their oil windfall, while others are spending freely with the expectation that prices will remain high. Moderate and pro-Western states like Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates are aware that high energy costs are hurting demand and might push consumers to seek alternatives to oil. These countries want to see prices fall below $100 a barrel to ease political enmity against the cartel. Another group, composed of OPEC’s traditional price hawks, increasingly needs high prices to finance a wide range of social and military policies. Analysts say they believe that Iran and Venezuela, for example, cannot afford prices below $100 a barrel as they seek to project power in their respective regions. Is OPEC worked to push up prices from lows reached in the late 1990s, members of the cartel all shared the same interests and were willing to leave their differences aside. But now that demand is weakening and prices are falling, some analysts say they believe that tensions within the group are resurfacing. In past years, OPEC has been notoriously bad at maintaining discipline in its ranks when prices fall. The perception that OPEC was unwilling to do its part to bring down prices brought sharp criticism Wednesday from Western officials. “We’d like to see more oil on the market, not less,” the White House press secretary, Dana M. Perino, said at a briefing. The decision represents a rare case of the cartel going against the position of its biggest member. As he walked from his hotel to the OPEC headquarters on Tuesday evening, Mr. Naimi, the Saudi minister, seemed particularly proud of his country’s efforts to pump as much oil as needed to push down prices. “It was hard work,” Mr. Naimi said, strolling along the city’s cobbled streets. “The market is in a very healthy position.” Six hours later, Mr. Naimi left the meeting without a word of public comment.
Washington, DC--The U.S. Department of the Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) today designated two senior Venezuelan government officials, Hugo Armando Carvajal Barrios and Henry de Jesus Rangel Silva, and one former official, Ramon Rodriguez Chacin, for materially assisting the narcotics trafficking activities of the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC), a narco-terrorist organization. "Today's designation exposes two senior Venezuelan government officials and one former official who armed, abetted, and funded the FARC, even as it terrorized and kidnapped innocents," said Adam J. Szubin, Director of OFAC. "This is OFAC's sixth action in the last ten months against the FARC. We will continue to target and isolate those individuals and entities that aid the FARC's deadly narco-terrorist activities in the Americas." Hugo Armando Carvajal Barrios is the Director of Venezuela's Military Intelligence Directorate (DGIM). His assistance to the FARC includes protecting drug shipments from seizure by Venezuelan anti-narcotics authorities and providing weapons to the FARC, allowing them to maintain their stronghold of the coveted Arauca Department. Arauca, which is located on the Colombia/Venezuela border, is known for coca cultivation and cocaine production. Carvajal Barrios also provides the FARC with official Venezuelan government identification documents that allow FARC members to travel to and from Venezuela with ease. Henry de Jesus Rangel Silva, the Director of Venezuela's Directorate of Intelligence and Prevention Services or DISIP, is in charge of intelligence and counterintelligence activities for the Venezuelan government. Rangel Silva has materially assisted the narcotics trafficking activities of the FARC. He has also pushed for greater cooperation between the Venezuelan government and the FARC. Ramon Emilio Rodriguez Chacin, who was Venezuela's Minister of Interior and Justice until September 8, is the Venezuelan government's main weapons contact for the FARC. The FARC uses its proceeds from narcotics sales to purchase weapons from the Venezuelan government. Rodriguez Chacin has held numerous meetings with senior FARC members, one of which occurred at the Venezuelan government's Miraflores Palace in late 2007. Rodriguez Chacin has also assisted the FARC by trying to facilitate a $250 million dollar loan from the Venezuelan government to the FARC in late 2007. We cannot confirm whether the loan materialized. On May 29, 2003, President George W. Bush identified the FARC as a significant foreign narcotics trafficker, or drug kingpin, pursuant to the Kingpin Act. In 2001, the State Department designated the FARC as a Specially Designated Global Terrorist pursuant to Executive Order 13224, and in 1997 as a Foreign Terrorist Organization. This OFAC action continues ongoing efforts under the Kingpin Act to apply financial measures against significant foreign narcotics traffickers and their organizations worldwide. In addition to the 75 drug kingpins that have been designated by the President, 460 businesses and individuals have been designated pursuant to the Kingpin Act since June 2000. Today's action freezes any assets the designated entities and individuals may have under U.S. jurisdiction and prohibits U.S. persons from conducting financial or commercial transactions involving those assets. Penalties for violations of the Kingpin Act range from civil penalties of up to $1,075,000 per violation to more severe criminal penalties. Criminal penalties for corporate officers may include up to 30 years in prison and fines of up to $5,000,000. Criminal fines for corporations may reach $10,000,000. Other individuals face up to 10 years in prison for criminal violations of the Kingpin Act and fines pursuant to Title 18 of the United States Code. For a complete list of the individuals and entities designated today, please visit: http://www.ustreas.gov/cgi-bin/redirect.cgi?http://www.treasury.gov/offices/enforcement/ofac/actions/index.shtml
To view previous OFAC actions directed against the FARC, please visit:
Treasury Action against the FARC on July 31, 2008 (link: http://www.ustreas.gov/cgi-bin/redirect.cgi?http://www.treas.gov/press/releases/hp1096.htm)
Treasury Action against the FARC on May 7, 2008 (link: http://www.ustreas.gov/cgi-bin/redirect.cgi?http://www.treas.gov/press/releases/hp966.htm)
Treasury Action against the FARC on April 22, 2008 (link: http://www.ustreas.gov/cgi-bin/redirect.cgi?http://www.treas.gov/press/releases/hp938.htm)
Treasury Action against the FARC on January 15, 2008 (link: http://www.ustreas.gov/cgi-bin/redirect.cgi?http://www.treas.gov/press/releases/hp762.htm)
Treasury Action against the FARC on November 1, 2007 (link: http://www.ustreas.gov/cgi-bin/redirect.cgi?http://www.treas.gov/press/releases/hp661.htm)
Treasury Action against the FARC on September 28, 2006 (link: http://www.ustreas.gov/cgi-bin/redirect.cgi?http://www.treas.gov/press/releases/hp119.htm)
Treasury Action against the FARC on February 19, 2004 (link: http://www.ustreas.gov/cgi-bin/redirect.cgi?http://www.ustreas.gov/press/releases/js1181.htm)
Descifrado@Descifrado.com - Por ayudar materialmente a las Fuerzas Armadas Revolucionarias de Colombia(FARC) en el tráfico de drogas, el Tesoro norteamericano congeló todos losactivos que Hugo Armando Carvajal Barrios (DIM), Henry de Jesús Rangel Silva (Disip), y el ex ministro, Ramón Rodríguez Chacín tengan bajo jurisdicción estadounidense. Asimismo, el comunicado oficial señala que queda prohibido atodo residente estadounidense efectuar transacciones comerciales o financieras con tales activos. Esta medida se produce después que el presidente Chávez diera 72 horas al embajador estadounidense en Venezuela, Patrick Duddy, para que saliera delpaís.
Los bonos tocan el piso de cuatro años por expulsión del embajador de EEUU -Descifrado@Descifrado.com - Los bonos venezolanos se derrumbaron a su mínima cotización desde mayo de2004 tras la decisión del presidente de la República de expulsar alembajador de Estados Unidos y amenazar con el corte del suministro de crudoal mercado norteamericano. El índice de riesgo de los bonos con vencimientoen 2027 se disparó 95 puntos básicos hasta 11,7 puntos porcentuales estamañana en Nueva York, de acuerdo con la tabla de mercados emergentes de JPMorgan, reseñado por Bloomberg. El precio de los bonos se hundió 6,50dólares a 81 dólares con 50 centavos. Los inversionistas rechazaron lostítulos ante las últimas acciones diplomáticas del gobierno. Analistasindicaron que usualmente las declaraciones de Chávez no generan efectos tanintensos, pero que en este caso desplegaron el temor acerca del país.
Video: Petroestado Paralelo
Video: Crisis eléctrica = Crisis política - Entrevista...
Washington responde a Evo Morales y expulsa al embajador de Bolivia
Rechazan las acusaciones de que Goldberg haya instigado los ataques de la oposición. Aseguran que están revisando 'todos los aspectos' de sus relaciones con Bolivia. Gustavo Guzmán, el embajador de Bolivia en EEUU declarado 'persona non grata'. (CET )
WASHINGTON.- Los EEUU han decidido expulsar al embajador de Bolivia en Washington en contrapartida por la expulsión de su embajador en La Paz, según ha anunciado el portavoz del departamento de Estado de EEUU, Sean McCormack. "Se trata de una respuesta que adoptamos de acuerdo con lo establecido en la Convención de Viena, hemos informado oficialmente al Gobierno boliviano de que hemos declarado a su embajador en Washington, Gus tavo Guzmán, persona 'non grata', ha dicho McCormack en la rueda de prensa. "En respuesta a la acción injustificable del Gobierno boliviano" de pedir el jueves al embajador estadounidense en La Paz, Philip Goldberg, que abandone el país, "hemos tomado la decisión", señal una portavoz del Departamento de Estado. La expulsión de Guzmán se produce en respuesta a la decisión del presidente boliviano, Evo Morales, de declarar este jueves persona non grata al embajador estadounidense en La Paz, Philip Goldberg, al que acusa de instigar las protestas violentas contra su gobierno en varias regiones del país controladas por opositores. EEUU ha tomado esa decisión después de asegurar el jueves por la mañana que revisa "todos los aspectos" de sus relaciones con Bolivia a raíz de las acusaciones vertidas contra su embajador en La Paz y su expulsión del país latinoamericano. El portavoz del Departamento de Estado, Sean McCormack, calificó el jueves la expulsión de Goldberg de "un grave error que ha dañado seriamente la relación bilateral". Asimismo, rechazó las acusaciones de Bolivia de que Goldberg haya instigado los ataques de la oposición y aseguró que "no tienen fundamento".
LE HA CONCEDIDO UN PLAZO DE 72 HORAS Chávez expulsa al embajador de EEUU en solidaridad con Bolivia Actualizado viernes 12/09/2008 01:59 (CET )
EFE - CARACAS.- El presidente de Venezuela, Hugo Chávez,ha concedido 72 horas de plazo al embajador de EEUU en Caracas para salir del país, en un acto que dijo era de solidaridad con el gobierno de Bolivia que el jueves hizo lo propio. "Ya basta de tanta mierda de ustedes, yanquis de mierda", repitió Chávez en un acto político nocturno en el céntrico estado de Carabobo.
Embajador Patrick Duddy tiene 72 horas para abandonar el país
En un acto en apoyo a los candidatos del Psuv en Carabobo, el presidente Chávez le dio un plazo de 72 horas al embajador de Estados Unidos en Venezuela, Patrick Duddy, para que se retire del país, en respuesta a la expulsión del embajador de Bolivia en Estados Unidos. “Comenzamos en este momento a evaluar las relaciones diplomáticas con Estados Unidos. Tiene 72 horas, a partir de este momento el embajador yanqui en Caracas para salir de Venezuela. ¡Váyanse al carajo, yanquis de mierda!”, espetó. El Presidente llamó también al embajador de Venezuela en Estados Unidos, Bernardo Álvarez, a que regrese al país. “Cuando haya un nuevo gobierno en Estados Unidos, que vuelva nuestro embajador", dijo. Por la expulsión, por parte del gobierno de Estados Unidos, del embajador de Bolivia en esa nación, el mandatario nacional uso lenguaje soez para referirse a la región. “Nosotros, yanquis de mierda sépanlo, estamos resueltos a ser libres pase lo que pase y cuéstenos lo que nos cueste. Ya basta de tanta mierda de ustedes yanquis”, dijo el presidente Hugo Chávez. Con respecto a las elecciones de noviembre, afirmó que “nosotros somos la garantía de la paz; la oposición es la garantía de la violencia y el fascismo”.